Saturday 23 May 2015

Debian 8.0 Jessie - Install Mono 4.0

Mono 4.0 was released in May 2015.

In order to install it it on Debian 8.0 Jessie do the following as root or with sudo.
apt-key adv --keyserver hkp://keyserver.ubuntu.com:80 --recv-keys 
3FA7E0328081BFF6A14DA29AA6A19B38D3D831EF 
echo "deb http://download.mono-project.com/repo/debian wheezy main" 
| tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/mono-xamarin.list 
echo "deb http://download.mono-project.com/repo/debian 
wheezy-apache24-compat main"
| tee -a /etc/apt/sources.list.d/mono-xamarin.list 
echo "deb http://download.mono-project.com/repo/debian 
wheezy-libjpeg62-compat main"
| tee -a /etc/apt/sources.list.d/mono-xamarin.list
apt-get update
apt-get install mono-complete

To get development IDE run:
apt-get install monodevelop

I had also to run several times apt-get -f install to force installation of failed dependences and run apt-get install monodevelop to get development IDE.

Reference:

Install Mono on Linux

 

8 comments:

  1. I don't how this worked for you, but on a fresh VM debian 8.0 installation, I get broken dependencies.

    "The following packages have unmet dependencies:
    mono-complete : Depends: mono-devel (= 4.2.1.102-0xamarin1) but it is not going to be installed
    Depends: libmono-cil-dev (= 4.2.1.102-0xamarin1) but it is not going to be installed
    E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Try to update it to latest Debian release. It worked for me when I updated to 8.1+.Currently I am running 8.2.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did the installation using the commands provided looks like mono is installed but I don't see any monodevelop on my filesystem i'm sure i did a mono-complete install but I could not launch monodevelop .. any idea thx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have you tried to run 'apt-get install monodevelop' to get development IDE?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very fantastic and well-written post.Its extremely good and very helpful for me.Thanks for sharing this great post.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Might help somebody else out there..but if you installed mono incorrectly with and you cannot move forward..

    1. Make sure all 3 extra repos have been added correctly. I thought I did but when I doublechecked I hadn't.
    2. apt-get remove "*mono.*"
    3. apt-get autoremove
    4. apt-get install mono-devel

    ReplyDelete